Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog #1 - Research Paper Topic

First, I’d like to start off with a disclaimer about my first post.  On September 24, I had surgery to remove my gal bladder.  Since then, I’ve been on an, um, interesting drug cocktail of painkillers and antibiotics.  So if anything I post seems a little disorganized or is confusing, I apologize as I find it a little difficult to clearly express and organize my ideas, even on paper.  With that out of the way, I get to the main point of this first blog post, my topic on the research paper.
I have only written one paper since I’ve been at LaGuardia Community College and I do not feel like adding more to that paper since I had a hard time finding sources for it.  The only other class I’m taking is SCB 203 – Human Anatomy & Physiology I and I really do not feel like writing a paper about anything in that class.  So hopefully Professor McCormick will allow me to pick a subject that I’ve always enjoyed.  I’ve always been a weapon enthusiast, from medieval weaponry, modern weaponry to weapons on the Military Channel that are in the experimental phase.  I’m not a sociopath who enjoys violence and people killing other people but I have always just found it fascinating.
As many of you have studied American history, you know that the United States has been involved in many wars; including wars were the United States of America was not the United States.  Since the Revolutionary War, there has been one company that has been instrumental in the success of these major engagements and that company was the Springfield Armory.  The Springfield Armory has outfitted all the U.S Armed Forces with small arms (a military term used for infantry weapons that an individual soldier and carry and fire) from 1794 to 1968.  This paper is intended to show the major contributions that the Springfield Armory had to the U.S. Armed Forces and how they revolutionized small arms.
 As for sources, most of them will come from databases and books about each individual war so I can get the most information possible since most of them do not talk much about weaponry.  My biggest source will hopefully be a trip to the Springfield Armory historical site which is located in Springfield, Massachusetts.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, so just to be clear, your paper is going to be on the springfield armory right? I think you should go with your idea of doing research on weapons espcially since youre interested in them so im sure that you will have alot to talk about and write about. While youre doing your research you will learn a lot of new things that interest you about weapons also. Goodluck on your paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rodrigo I believe your topic is going to be really fun to read. I believe you should look for the types of weapons used in these wars that the springfield armory contributed. It will help you develop more of your paper and give us an idea on what types of weapons were used in these wars. Also it will be great if you put in a little history about the Springfield armory and maybe if you make a trip down there you can get an interview from someone that will give you a little more history not only about the armory but about the weapons as well. well good luck and I am really interested in reading your paper. Well GoodLuck and have fun as well researching and writing this interesting paper. Also I am glad you are feeling better. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rodrigo - Let me know how you decide to reframe this as an arguement (as discussed in class)!!!

    ReplyDelete